It will follow the structure of the driving test – asking you to go through the entire step-by-step process of a driving test. The driving test usually lasts around 40 minutes. Let’s take a look at what you can expect with a mock driving test…
The structure of the mock driving test:
1. An eyesight test
At the beginning of the driving test, you’ll be asked to complete a mandatory eyesight test before getting into the car. This will involve you reading a number plate from 20 or 20.5 metres away, or around 4 car lengths. So, make sure you’re wearing your glasses or contact lenses if you need them.
2. ‘Show me, tell me’ questions
By this point, you should be more than familiar with the ‘show me, tell me’ section of the driving test. These questions will show that you have a basic understanding of your vehicle. The examiner will ask you to answer a ‘tell me’ question before you start driving, e.g., “How would you check that the brakes are working before starting a journey?”. The ‘show me’ question will be asked once you start driving, e.g., “When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d switch on your dipped headlights?”.
Though you’ll get a driving fault for getting the ‘tell me’ question wrong, you don’t want to use up all of your faults just because you couldn’t be bothered revising this section. So, practice them as much as you can and make sure your multitasking skills are on point for the ‘show me’ question!
3. Assessment of your driving ability
As with your test, the trainer will take you on the roads around the test centre, which you should be familiar with by this point. They will make sure to incorporate a variety of road features and types, ranging from dual carriageways to multi-lane roundabouts to tricky one-way systems. You’ll likely be taken through busy urban areas and quieter residential estates—ensuring different traffic conditions which will test your skills with hazard perception and speed awareness.
Throughout this 20 minute drive, you will be asked to pull over every so often—testing your ability to park and move off safely—and demonstrate a hill start, angle start, down hill etc. The trainer will be monitoring control of the vehicle, steering and road positioning. Additionally, they’ll be keeping an eye out to see if you’re completing all around checks and observations throughout.
4. Independent driving
During this section, you’ll be asked to drive (independently) by following sat nav directions or sign posts to reach a set destination, 80% of candidates on the test will use a sat nav on their test, whilst the remaining 20% will use road signs. Remember—you are allowed to go the wrong way. As long as you’re showing that you can safely follow directions (using a sat nav or signs), you’ll be fine.
5. Assessment of your manoeuvring ability
During the driving test, you’ll be expected to demonstrate one of four manoeuvres:
Wondering where you’ll be asked to demonstrate these manoeuvres? It depends on the manoeuvre. With pulling up on the right and parallel parking, this isn’t limited to quiet roads only. When it comes to the bay parking manoeuvre, they’ll either use the test centre car park or another cark park.